Voyageur Journal

rioja

Viewing posts tagged rioja

Design: Viña Tondonia P1

The design series of this blog will focus on a range of architectural aspects, from winery design and function to their interiors. I am by no means a professional in this arena just an observer of beauty, and hence these posts will merely be my own personal musings.

In Part I below, the inspiration behind Lopez de Heredia’s, Zaha Hadid designed stand and tasting room is revealed.

This is a direct excerpt from their website, with the story told by the current generation of the family now entrusted with preserving the 138 year history of this iconic winery.

López de Heredia in the Brussels World Expo in 1910

The history of our wines has always been linked to the history of our family. Over the years we have stored an endless number of objects related to the winemaking world, as well as personal objects and documents of great historical value, for we are fully aware that one of our most precious treasures is the history of the last 138 years. In 2002 we had many things to celebrate, including the 125th anniversary of the bodega, thus fulfilling the dream of our founder – Don Rafael López de Heredia y Landeta – in achieving the “Supreme Rioja”.

In 1910, Europe and America were undergoing a euphoric moment of peace and hope, with the impulse of communications and business which gave Madrid a modern character and a European outlook. This circumstance was used by Don Rafael to set up his offices on the corner of Calle Alcalá and Calle Sevilla, in an area that had taken on a certain air reminiscent of the “City” in London, with the monumental buildings of the large banks and the offices of “La Equitativa”, where López de Heredia was established.

1915-La Equitativa y Calle de Alcala-Cataneira y Alvarez

1910 also saw the opening of the Hotel Ritz in Madrid, and Don Rafael succeeded in making people associate Viña Tondonia with an expression of good living during this “belle époque”.  Tondonia began to be served at the tables of “L’Hardy”, “Tournie”, the “Hotel Ritz” and later in the “Palace”, in the same way that it would later become popular in the best restaurants around the world. Two events gave our great-grandfather, the founder of the Haro bodega the perfect opportunities to lend his products the cosmopolitanism he so desired: firstly, the Brussels World Expo in 1910, together with its rival, the Buenos Aires World Expo, which was held around the same date to celebrate the centenary of the Argentine Republic.

Excited by the fact that the two events were situated in the centre of Europe and in the capital city of the most prosperous nation in Latin America respectively, he planned the presentation of his wines in the setting of an artistic, original and elegant structure, influenced by modernist trends. Don Rafael’s friendships throughout Europe, together with the collaboration of his eldest son, Don Rafael López de Heredia Aransáez (who, by the age of twenty, had finished studying mechanical engineering in Germany, and had already embarked on further studies in England and France) were important influences in putting his father’s ideas into practice.

Among the aforementioned friendships, Don Nicolás de Escoriaza, an agricultural engineer and Royal Commissioner for the Spanish representation in the Brussels World Expo, gave Don Rafael sound advice and helped iron out any problems they had in installing the López de Heredia structure inside the Spanish pavilion.

Letters detailing the first contacts with a specialist French company, probably recommended by Don Escoriaza, have been kept. Don Rafael was unable to reach an agreement with the firm in question due to the fact that the latter felt that they would not have enough time to complete the Producer before the opening ceremony.

The construction of the stand

The Haro craftsmen must have been very excited at being entrusted with this Producer, which had been personally conceived by Don López de Heredia (conscious of the artistic trends of the period) in collaboration with the architect J. Cabrera y Latorre. The structure consisted of an enclosure that opened onto a backdrop of shelves and mirrors of Venetian character, finished with balusters and a colophon crowned with flags.

Original Stand from 1910

Original Stand @ Brussels World Fair in 1910

Of the original installation of the stand in the Brussels World Expo in 1910, only the image above remains. The inexorable passing of time has deteriorated the glass plate that held the image, but despite this, it has served as main testimony and reference for the required restoration process.

The exquisite care with which the stand was disassembled has made it possible for it to reappear in its full aesthetic glory ninety-two years later, bringing together the value of wines of López de Heredia Viña Tondonia, the “Rioja Supremo”.

The restoration process of the stand

For some time, and apart from continuing to build the original projects of our founder, we have been restoring and maintaining old objects of great historical and emotional value not only for ourselves but also for our friends and clients, as well as for our region.

The restoration of this shop was one of the dreams of all the members of our family. We have carried it out with professionalism and as faithfully as possible. For this, we have based the Producer on old photographs, plans and documentation. In line with the essence of restoration work, we have used natural products that do not damage the patina or natural aging of the wood, as well as reversible methods that make it possible to assemble and disassemble the installation in the future as many times as we wish. The idea of restoring this modernist stand was an old dream that was made possible as its fragments were scattered around the winery. On occasions, the wood was found in a damaged state, softened by the damp, hollowed out by woodworm or discoloured by dust.

The stand as it is today, restored by Blanca Ameztoy Fernández-Montes

The beautifully restored original stand as it looks today.

Blanca Ameztoy Fernández-Montes dedicated more than one year to the recuperation of these beautiful pieces, putting the wood through processes of cleaning, disinfection, consolidation and waxing, always with natural products and fully respecting the original conception of the structure. Although most of the structural and decorative elements have been retrieved, some were lost, as is the case with a small part of the floor, one of the display cases and part of the cornice. Even so, to remain faithful to the Producer and conserve the symmetry that was characteristic of the shop. These parts have been reconstructed with the same measurements and materials shown in the conserved documents. A new material covering has also been made for the installation, since the original was unusable. However, in this case also, the appearance and raw material with which the original was made has been respected. All these efforts have made it possible for the modernist shop to be put on show today as it was in 1910.

Zaha Hadid Stand

Together with the restoration of our great-grandfather’s shop, and to commemorate so many years dedicated to the creation of quality wines across the generations, we decided to allow ourselves  another architectural luxury. In our decision to restore the modernist stand and use it in the Food and Drink Fair of Barcelona to celebrate our 125th anniversary, we encountered a problem: the stand had to be located in the open air. For this reason, and so that the stand could recover its former splendour and utility, we thought of creating an exterior structure that would cover it and protect it. In López de Heredia, we were familiar with and admired the work of Zaha Hadid, an Iraqi architect based in London and known for the spectacular nature, innovation, art, daring and subtlety of her work.

We commissioned her for this Producer, and she got to work immediately. The innovation and sensitivity she displayed in integrating tradition with modernity; wine with aesthetics, and nature with architecture, produced the building we see today.

Zaha Hadid designed stand which houses the 1910 original.

Zaha Hadid designed stand which houses the 1910 original.

This is the first contribution of our firm to the world of modern architecture. Hadid’s sensitivity and her understanding of our company philosophy led to a mutual understanding from which this new Producer was born, namely a building Producer for a new extension to our existing bodegas, which now houses the old stand and a shop, entertainment and exhibition area. 
Throughout the 138 years of our existence, we at López de Heredia have always shown an interest not only in the meticulous care of our vineyards and the winemaking process, but also for the aesthetics of our buildings, our products and our entire image. It is not a case of gratuitous looks or pleasure in contemplating beauty; it is a philosophy of integration, which completes the magic of the wisdom of the land of the region of La Rioja and the time it allows us: the transformation of the grape into fine quality wines.

551408624_f2-lheredia-zaha-02-528x351 27146283_f2-lheredia-zaha-01-528x351

Over the last 138 years, the different generations of the López de Heredia family have dedicated themselves to the purpose of achieving exceptional wines, masterpieces of craft and refinement, capable of competing with the best in the world; a desire that the founder of the winery, don Rafael López de Heredia y Landeta, defined as the “Rioja Supremo”. Founder of a large dynasty that has stayed in family hands since 1877, he had a clear vision of the future, outlining plans and projects that his descendents have continued to develop in the Haro winery up to the present day. Zaha Hadid, a specialist in establishing dialogue with the environment by means of architecture, participated with us, encouraging the passion for beauty and care in carrying out work that is to be left as a legacy to the land that has helped us grow vines over the last 138 years.